SAVE THE DATE!
PMEA District 8 Professional Development Day
Monday, October 11, 2021
8 am to 4 pm
CSIU 16,m Montandon PA
Act 48 credit workshops are free!
Jennifer Wright, elementary
Title: Myth Busting the Orff Schulwerk Classroom
Name: Jennifer Wright
In this session we will be myth busting some of the most common criticisms and misconceptions of Orff-style teaching:
1. Using a xylophone in your lesson means you are teaching an Orff lesson.
2. Orff teachers are just “weirdos” who dance around the room with scarves.
3. You need a lot of instruments and a large budget to teach Orff.
4. Orff teaching is all rote learning and doesn’t teach reading skills.
5. Orff is only for the elementary, general music classroom.
Participants will explore ‘process teaching’ as well as gain strategies to get students actively reading, creating, arranging, and composing in the general music classroom- no matter what grade or what instruments you may have. We will also draw connections to how an Orff style general music program can support and enhance your instrumental ensembles.
Debra Rapson, middle school
Dr. Amy Voorhees, choral
Dr. David Tedford, orchestra
Nathan Santos, jazz band
Dr. Laura Ferguson, vocal jazz and upper elementary
Dr. Jason Worzbyt, instrumental
Advocacy Roundtable Discussion
Mark Despotakis and Bernadette Boerckel will be serving on the panel for advocacy in the K-12+ world and Covid environment